For More Information
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering Stanford University 2005
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering Stanford University 2001
- B. Tech Mechanical Engineering Indian Institute of Technology 1999
- Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory, UIUC, Jan 2008-date (0%)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, July 2008-2014
- Assistant Research Engineer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, February 2007-June 2008
Other Professional Employment
- Senior Engineer, Systems Technology Lab, Intel, April 2005-February 2007
Prof. Sinha's research combines theory and experiments to study and exploit electro-thermal transport in applications related to energy and thermal management. Core expertise in his lab includes materials physics, electro-thermal transport, nanoscale heat transfer, and nanofabrication. The lab has synergistic collaborations with researchers in Materials Science and Electrical Engineering. In the past five years, the lab has focused on enhancing the efficiency of nanostructured silicon thermoelectrics, spanning materials to systems. Current emphasis is on high-density thermal energy storage, advanced interfaces for heat exchange, and resonant heat transfer.
- Applied Physics
- Fluid Mechanics
- Security and Defense
- Thermo and Heat Transfer
Selected Articles in Journals
- Seong, M., J.S. Sadhu, M. Ghossoub, and S. Sinha, "Modeling and Theoretical Efficiency of Silicon Nanowire Based Microscale Thermoelectric Generators," Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 23, pp. 305304, 2012.
- Balasundaram, K., J.S. Sadhu, J.C. Shin, B. Azeredo, D. Chanda, M. Malik, K. Hsu, J.A. Rogers, P. Ferreira, S. Sinha, and X. Li, "Porosity Control in Metal-assisted Chemical Etching of Degenerately Doped Silicon Nanowires," Nanotechnology, vol. 23, 305304, 2012.
- Keum, H., M. Seong, S. Sinha and S. Kim, "Electrostatically Driven Collapsible Au Thin Films Assembled Using Transfer Printing for Thermal Switching", Applied Physics Letters, vol. 100, pp. 211904, 2012.
- Sadhu, J., M. Seong, and S. Sinha, "Partially Coherent Phonon Transport in Two-Dimensionally Rough Nanowires," Journal of Computational Electronics, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1-7, 2012.
- Tian, H., M.G. Ghossoub, O.T. Baris, J. Ma, M. Tirumala, and S. Sinha, "Volumetric Heat Capacity Enhancement in Ultrathin Fluorocarbon Polymers for Capacitive Thermal Management," ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 134, pp. 081601, 2012.
- Oh, D-W., S. Kim, J. Rogers, D.G. Cahill, and S. Sinha, "Interfacial Thermal Conductance of Transfer-Printed Metal Films," Advanced Materials, vol. 23, pp. 5027, 2011. (Selected as Frontispiece article).
- Sadhu, J. and S. Sinha, "Room Temperature Phonon Boundary Scattering Below the Casimir Limit," Physical Review B, vol. 84, pp. 115450, 2011.
- Ghossoub, M.G., J. H. Lee, O. T. Baris, D. G. Cahill, and S. Sinha, "Percolation of Thermal Conductivity in Amorphous Fluorocarbons," Physical Review B, vol. 82, pp. 195441, 2010.
- Sadhu, ,J., J. H. Lee, and S. Sinha, "Frequency Shift and Attenuation of Hypersonic Surface Acoustic Phonons Under Metallic Gratings," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 97, pp. 133106-133109, 2010.
- Kenny, T. W., K. E. Goodson, J. G. Santiago, E. Wang, J.-M.O. Koo, L. Jiang, E. Pop, S. Sinha, L. Zhang, D. Fogg, Y. Shuhuai, R. Flynn, C-H. Chang, and C. H. Hidrovo, “Advanced Cooling Technologies for Microprocessors,” International Journal of High Speed Electronics and Systems, 16:1, 301-313, March 2006.
- Pop, E., S. Sinha, R. W. Dutton, and K. E. Goodson, “Heat Generation and Transport in Nanometer Scale Transistors,” Proceedings of the IEEE, 94, 1587-1601, 2006.
- Sinha, S., E. Pop, R. W. Dutton, and K. E. Goodson, “Non-Equilibrium Phonon Distributions in Sub-100 nm Silicon Transistors,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, 128, 638-647, 2006.
- Sinha, S. and K. E. Goodson, “Thermal Conduction in Sub-100 nm Transistors,” Microelectronics Journal, 37, 1148-1157, 2006.
- Sinha, S. and K. E. Goodson, “Review: Multiscale Thermal Modeling in Nanoelectronics,” International Journal for Multiscale Computational Engineering, 3, 107-133, 2005.
- Sinha, S., P. K. Schelling, S. R. Phillpot, and K. E. Goodson, “Scattering of g-Process LO Phonons at Hotspots in Silicon,” Journal of Applied Physics, 97, 023702, 2005.
- Ravi, M. R., A. Jhalani, S. Sinha, and A. Ray, “Development of Semi-Empirical Model for Pyrolysis of an Annular Sawdust Bed,” Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis, 71, 353-374, 2004.
- Sverdrup, P. G., S. Sinha, M. Ashegi, S. Uma, and K. E. Goodson, “Measurement of Ballistic Phonon Conduction near Hotspots in Silicon,” Applied Physics Letters, 78, 3331-3333, 2001.
- Sinha, S., A. Jhalani, M. R. Ravi, and A. Ray, “Modeling of Pyrolysis in Wood: A Review,” Journal of the Solar Energy Society of India, 10, 41-62, 2000.
- Member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2010-date
- Member of the Materials Research Society, 2005-date
- Listed amongst Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students, for ME 598 SS, Spring 2012
- Listed amongst Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students, for ME 598 SS, Spring 2011
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2010
- DARPA Young Faculty Award, 2011
Recent Courses Taught
- ME 320 AL2 (ME 320 ZL1, ME 320 AE2, ME 320 AE3) - Heat Transfer
- ME 420 - Intermediate Heat Transfer
- ME 523 - Nanoscale Energy Transport
- September 12, 2022
- December 10, 2021
- September 16, 2021
- May 3, 2021
- April 7, 2021
- October 9, 2020