256 Computing Applications Bldg
For more information
- PhD Mechanical Engineering, ETH Zurich, 2013
- MSc Nuclear Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, 2006
- BSc Energy Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, 2003
- Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology Faculty, UIUC, 2020-date
- Blue Waters Professor, National Center for Supercomputing Applications, UIUC, 2016-date
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, 2016-date
- Postdoctoral Fellow, SEAS, Harvard, 2013-2016
- Bio-hybrid systems
- Fluid mechanics
- Soft mechanics
- High Performance Computing
- Applied Physics
- Computation and Applied Math
- Fluid Mechanics
- Health and Bio
- Security and Defense
- Solid Mechanics and Materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- Bhosale, Parthasarathy, Gazzola, "Shape curvature effects in viscous streaming", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2020.
- Weiner, Bhosale, Gazzola, King, "Mechanics of randomly packed filaments – the 'bird nest' as meta-material", Journal of Applied Physics, 2020.
- Aydin, Zhang, Nuethong, Pagan-Diaz, Bashir, Gazzola, Saif, "Neuromuscular actuation of biohybrid motile bots", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2019.
- Zhang, Chan, Parthasarathy, Gazzola, "Modeling and simulation of complex dynamic musculoskeletal architectures", Nature Communications, 2019.
- Parthasarathy, Chan, Gazzola, "Streaming-enhanced flow-mediated transport", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2019.
- Charles, Gazzola, Mahadevan, "Topology, geometry, and mechanics of strongly stretched and twisted filaments: solenoids, plectonemes, and artificial muscle fibers", Physical Review Letters, 2019.
- Gazzola, Dudte, McCormick, Mahadevan, "Forward and inverse problems in the mechanics of soft filaments", Royal Society Open Science, 2018.
- Pagan‐Diaz, Zhang, Grant, Kim, Aydin, Cvetkovic, Ko, Solomon, Hollis, Kong, Saif, Gazzola, Bashir, "Simulation and fabrication of stronger, larger and faster walking biohybrid machines", Advanced Functional Materials, 2018.
- Park, Gazzola, Park, Park, Di Santo, Blevins, Lind, Campbell, Dauth, Capulli, Pasqualini, Ahn, Cho, Yuan, Maoz, Vijaykumar, Choi, Deisseroth, Lauder, Mahadevan, Parker, "Phototactic guidance of a tissue-engineered soft-robotic ray", Science, 2016.
- Gazzola, Argentina, Mahadevan, "Gait and speed selection in slender inertial swimmers", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2015.
- Gazzola, Tchieu, Alexeev, de Brauer, Koumoutsakos, "Learning to school in the presence of hydrodynamic interactions", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2015.
- Gazzola, Argentina, Mahadevan, "Scaling macroscopic aquatic locomotion", Nature Physics, 2014.
- Gazzola, Hejazialhosseini, Koumoutsakos, "Reinforcement learning and wavelet adapted vortex methods for simulations of self-propelled swimmers", SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 2014.
- van Rees, Gazzola, Koumoutsakos, "Optimal shapes for anguilliform swimmers at intermediate Reynolds numbers", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2013.
- Gazzola, van Rees, Koumoutsakos, "C-start: optimal start of larval fish", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2012.
- Gazzola, Chatelain, van Rees, Koumoutsakos, "Simulations of single and multiple swimmers with non-divergence free deforming geometries", Journal of Computational Physics, 2011.
Other Scholarly Activities
- Paper2Tree Fall Event 2018
- Initiated and funded large scale outreach Paper2Tree project, involving Champaign and Urbana municipalities, school and park districts (2017)
- NSF CAREER Award (2019)
- Cover of Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2019)
- Cover of Advanced Functional Materials (2018)
- Blue Waters Professorship (2016)
- Cover of Science (2016)
- Advanced Swiss National Science Foundation Fellowship (2015)
- Le Prix La Recherche (2015)
- Cover of Nature Physics (2014)
- Swiss National Science Foundation Fellowship (2013)
- ETH Medal Award for Outstanding Doctoral Thesis (2013)
- Cover of Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2013)
- Cover of Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2012)
- UIUC Teacher Ranked as Excellent by Students - Fall 2018
- UIUC Teacher Ranked as Excellent by Students - Spring 2017
- UIUC Teacher Ranked as Excellent by Students - Fall 2016
- Collins Scholars, 2016-2017
- ME 310 - Fundamentals of Fluid Dynamics
- ME 447 - Comp Design & Dyn of Soft Syst
- ME 498 - Comp modeling & optimization
- TAM 539 - Fluid Mechanics Seminar
- April 6, 2021
- December 4, 2019
- October 17, 2019
- September 16, 2019
- June 28, 2019
- April 26, 2019