Micro-Nano Mechanical Systems (MNMS) Cleanroom
- Go to the MNMS Cleanroom Website for more information
- To request staff assisted Cleanroom services and research, contact the Lab Coordinator, Glennys Mensing, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-333-5694.
- Register to gain access to the MNMS Cleanroom facilities.
- Industrial users register here
The Micro-Nano-Mechanical Systems Cleanroom Laboratory provides an opportunity for research and discovery that is otherwise unattainable in a typical laboratory setting. If you have any questions, please email Glennys Mensing, MNMS Laboratory Coordinator, at email@example.com, and Joe Maduzia, MNMS Laboratory Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Description of Facilities
The Micro-Nano Mechanical Systems (MNMS) Cleanroom is a 3800 sq. ft suite of labs and related support rooms, including 2 cleanroom laboratories for research in the design and fabrication of small-scale mechanical systems. The lab supports research and instruction in the general area of micro- and nano-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS & NEMS), and nano-chemical-electrical-mechanical-manufacturing systems (Nano-CEMMS). The current focus is on devices employing nano-to-microscale mechanisms and the integration of these mechanisms into meso-scale devices.
The MNMS laboratory has class 100 and 10 cleanrooms for the microfabrication, inspection, and testing of devices. The cleanrooms house a range of state-of-the-art equipment including:
- PlasmaTherm ICP-DRIE etching system
- Two Oxygen / Argon RF RIE systems
- Electron Visions (EVG) double-sided aligner
- Flood exposure (402 nm exposure wavelength)
- EVG wafer bonding system
- 6-stack multi-zone tube-furnace system
- High speed spinner and a wafer spinner housed in a laminar flow fume hood
- Multiple chemical fume hoods (acid, base, and solvent)
- Confocal 3-gun RF and pulsed-DC sputtering system
- 4-pocket e-beam evaporator
- Molecular Vapor Deposition (MVD) system
- High-temperature furnace (max temperature is 2200 C)
- Vacuum oven
- Programmable curing oven
- Micro-mechanical probe station with Labview and a complete set of electronics instrumentation for precise IV measurements
- MX-50 Olympus wafer inspection optical microscope as well as a stereoscope and another microscope
- An infrared imaging microscope
- Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)
- STS ICP-DRIE etching system
- Suss MJB3 Mask Aligner
- AJA 8-gun DC Metal Sputtering System
In addition to the cleanroom laboratories, the MNMS laboratory has a preparation room for lapping, ultrasonic milling, and sample preparation. A chemical fume hood and glove box are also available.
University of Illinois custom designed equipment for microfabrication are available in a Class 1000 cleanroom. The equipment includes:
- Large feature Transfer Printer
- Laser Transfer Printer
- 5-axis Stage E-jet
Then continue on to “In Addition to the cleanroom…”