4412 Mechanical Engineering Lab
For more information
- Ph.D. ME University of Michigan 2012
- M.S. ME Cairo University, Egypt 2007
- B.M.E. Cairo University, Egypt 2003
- Associate Professor, Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois, August 2020 - date
- Part-time Faculty, Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technologies, University of Illinois, June 2019 - date
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois, August 2013 - August 2020
- Postdoctoral Associate, Laboratory for Manufacturing and Productivity, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, January 2013 - August 2013
- Solid Mechanics and Materials
- Nanomechanics and Nanomanufacturing
- Applied Physics
- Security and Defense
- Solid Mechanics and Materials
Chapters in Books
- Hart, A.J., S.J. Park, M. De Volder, S. Tawfick, and E.R. Meshot, “Principles and Methods for Integration of Carbon Nanotubes in Miniaturized Systems” in "Microelectronics to Nanoelectronics: Materials, Devices & Manufacturability" Editor: Anupama B. Kaul, CRC Press 2013.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Thanalakshme, R., A. Kanj, J. Kim, E. Wilken-Resman, J. Jing, I. Grinberg, J. Bernhard, S. Tawfick, and Gaurav Bahl"Magneto-Mechanical Transmitters for Ultra-Low Frequency Near-Field Data Transfer" accepted in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2021.
- Kim, S., J.Bunyan, P. Ferrari, A. Kanj, A. Vakakis, A. Van Der Zande, and S. Tawfick "Buckling-mediated phase transitions in nano-electromechanical phononic waveguides" Nano Lett. 21 (15) 6416–6424, 2021.
- Wang, C., S. Tawfick and A. Vakakis "Time scale disparity yielding acoustic nonreciprocity in a two-dimensional granular-elastic solid interface with asymmetry" Physical Review E 104 (4), 044906, 2021.
- Ha, J., Y. Kim, R. Siu, and S. Tawfick "Dynamic pattern selection in polymorphic elastocapillarity" accepted in Soft Matter and selected for Cover Article, 2021.
- Ananthakrishnan, G., M. Surana, K. Zhang, J. Yaacoub, N. Admal, P. Pochet, S. Tawfick and H.J. Johnson "Graphene-Mediated Stabilization of Surface Facets on Metal Substrates" Journal of Applied Physics 130 (16), 165302, 2021.
- Kanj, A., C. Wang, A. Mojahed, A. Vakakis, and S. Tawfick "Wave Redirection, Localization and Non-reciprocity in a Dissipative Nonlinear Lattice by Macroscopic Landau-Zenner Tunneling: Experimental Results", AIP Advances 11, 065328, 2021.
- Wang, C., A. Kanj, A. Mojahed, S. Tawfick and A. Vakakis, "Wave Redirection, Localization and Non-reciprocity in a Dissipative Nonlinear Lattice by Macroscopic Landau-Zenner Tunneling: Theoretical Results", Journal of Applied Physics 129 (9), 095105 (special issue on Acoustic Metamaterials), 2021.
- McGregor, D., S. Rylowicz, A. Brenzel, D. Baker, C. Wood, D. Pick, H. Deutchman, C. Shao, S. Tawfick, and W.P. King "Analyzing part accuracy and sources of variability for additively manufactured lattice parts made on multiple printers" Additive Manufacturing 40, 101924, 2021.
- Chu, H. et al. "Unipolar-stroke, electroosmotic-pump carbon nanotube yarn muscles" Science 371 (6528), 494-498, 2021.
- Schiller, J., R. Toro, A. Shah, M. Surana, K. Zhang, M. Robertson, K. Miller, K. Cruse, K. Liu, B. Seong, C. Seol, I. Foster, B. Blaiszek, B. Galewsky, D. Adams, D. Katz, P. Ferreira, E. Ertekin, and S. Tawfick "Crowd-sourced data and analysis tools for advancing chemical vapor deposition of graphene" ACS Applied Nano Materials 3 (10), 10144-10155, 2020.
- Ha, J., Y. Kim, K. Jiang, R. Siu, and S. Tawfick "Dynamic capillary morphing of hair bundles" Physical Review Letters 125 (25), 254503, 2020.
- King, W. et al "Emergency Ventilator for COVID-19" PloS one 15 (12), e0244963, 2020.
- Wang, C., A. Kanj, A. Mojahed, S. Tawfick and A. Vakakis, "Experimental Landau-Zener tunneling for wave redirection in nonlinear waveguides" Physical Review Applied 14 (3), 034053, 2020.
- Zhang, K., M. Surana, R. Haasch, and S. Tawfick, "Elastic Modulus Scaling in Graphene-Metal Nanocomposites" Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 53 (18), 185305, 2020.
- Wang C., S. Tawfick and A. Vakakis, "Irreversible Energy Transfer, Localization and Non-reciprocity in Weakly Coupled, Nonlinear Lattices with Asymmetry" Physica D: Nonlinear Phenoman, 132229, 2019.
- Tawfick, A., and Y. Tang, "Stronger Artificial Muscles, with a Twist" Science, 365(6449): 125-126, 2019.
- Mojahed, A., J. Bunyan, S. Tawfick, and A. Vakakis, "Tunable Acoustic Nonreciprocity in Nonlinear Asymmetric Waveguides " Physical Review Applied Physical Review Applied 12 (3), 034033, 2019.
- Kovanko L. and S. Tawfick, "Dynamics of Capillary-Driven Hair Twisting" Langmuir 35 (41), 13421-13426, 2019.
- McGregor D., S. Tawfick, and W.P. King, "Automated Metrology and Geometric Analysis of Additively Manufactured Lattice Structures" Additive Manufacturing 28: 535-545, 2019.
- Lamuta, C., H. He, K. Zhang, M. Rogalski, N. Sottos, and S. Tawfick, "Digital Texture Voxels for Stretchable Morphing Skin Applications" Advanced Materials Technologies 4(8) 1900260, 2019.
- Tawfick S., N. Nayakanti, C. Prohoda, and A.J. Hart, "Geometric Tailoring of Strength and Toughness in Self-locking Interleaved Laminates" Extreme Mechanics Letters 27: 94-101, 2019.
- Sandin, C., T. Talukdar, J. Abelson, and S. Tawfick, "Bottom-Up Synthesis and Mechanical Behavior of Refractory Coatings Made of Carbon Nanotube-Hafnium Diboride Composites" ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 11 (1): 1487-1495, 2019.
- McGregor A., S. Tawfick, and W.P. King, “Mechanical Properties of Hexagonal Lattice Structures Fabricated Using Continuous Liquid Interface Production Additive Manufacturing” Additive Manufacturing, 25:10-18, 2019.
- Bunyan, J. and S. Tawfick, "Exploiting Structural Instability to Design Architected Materials Having Essentially Nonlinear Stiffness" Advanced Engineering Materials, 21 (2): 1800791, 2019.
- Fonk M., S. Tawfick, C. Daraio, S. Li, A. Vakakis, and M. Leamy, "Acoustic Non-Reciprocity in Lattices with Nonlinearity, Internal Hierarchy and Asymmetry: Computation Study" ASME J. of Vibrations and Acoustics, 141 (5), 051011, 2018.
- Zhang K., C. Androulidakis, M. Chen, and S. Tawfick, "Gilding with Graphene: Rapid Chemical Vapor Deposition Synthesis of Graphene on Thin Metal Leaves” Advanced Functional Materials 28: 1804068, 2018.
- Androuilidakis C., E. N. Koukaras, M. Poss, K. Papagelis, C. Galiotis,and S. Tawfick, “Strained Hexagonal Boron Nitride: Phonon Shift and Grüneisen Parameter” Physical Review B Rapid Communications 97: 241414(R), 2018.
- Shin, D. and S. Tawfick, “Polymorphic Elastocapillarity: Kinetically Reconfigurable Self-assembly of Hair Bundles by Varying The Drain Rate” Langmuir 34 (21): 6231-6236, 2018.
- Bunyan J., K. Moore, A. Mojahed, M. Fronk, S. Tawfick, M. Leamy, and A. Vakakis, "Accoustic Non-reciprocity in a Lattice Incorporating Nonlinearity, Asymmetry and Internal Scale Hierarchy: Experimental Study" Physical Review E 97: 052211, 2018.
- Androulidakis C., K. Zhang, M. Robertson, and S. Tawfick*, "Tailoring the Mechanical Properties of 2D Materials and Heterostructures" 2D Materials 5 (3), 2018. (*invited)
- Lamuta C., S. Messelot, and S. Tawfick, "Theory of the Tensile Actuation of Fiber Reinforced Coiled Muscles" Smart Materials and Structures 27: 055018, 2018.
- Moore, K., J. Bunyan, S. Tawfick, O. Gentleman, S. Li, M. Leamy, and A. Vakakis, "Non-Reciprocity in the Dynamics of Coupled Oscillators with Nonlinearity, Asymmetry and Scale Hierarchy" Physical Review E 97: 012219, 2018.
- Nayakanti, N., S. Tawfick, and A.J. Hart, "Deployable Multi-Stable Structures from Twist-Coupled Kirigami" Extreme Mechanics Letters 21: 17-24, 2018.
- Zhang, K., M. Poss, P. Chen, and S. Tawfick, "Strengthening Nickel by In Situ Graphene Synthesis" Advanced Engineering Materials 19 (12), 2017.
- Pagano, A., T. Yan, B. Chien, A. Wissa, and S. Tawfick, “A Crawling Robot Driven by Multi-Stable Origami” Smart Materials and Structures 26 (9), 2017.
- Bunyan J. and S. Tawfick, “Mechanical Behavior of PDMS at Low Pressure” Materials Research Express 4 (7), 2017.
- Liang, Y., D. Sias, P. Chen, and S. Tawfick, "Tough Nano-Architectured Conductive Textile Made by Capillary Splicing of Carbon Nanotubes” Advanced Engineering Materials 19 (7), 2017.
- Rao, A., S. Tawfick, B. Bedewy, and A.J. Hart, "Morphology-Dependent Load Transfer Governs The Strength and Failure Mechanism of Carbon Nanotube Yarns," Extreme Mechanics Letters 9 (1), 2016.
- Zhang, K., K. Han, S. Shi, G. Bahl, and S. Tawfick, "Highly Stretchable Conductors Made by Laser Draw-Casting of Ultralong Metal Nanowires" Advanced Electronic Materials 2 (6), 2016.
- Lee, K. and S. Tawfick, "Micro-Architectured Electro-Elasto-Kinematic Muscles" Extreme Mechanics Letters 8: 64-69, 2016.
- Tawfick, S.*, J. Bico, and S. Barcelo, "Three-dimensional Lithography by Elasto-Capillary Engineering of Filamentary Materials" MRS Bulletin 41 (2), 2016. (*invited)
- Bunyan, J., A.F. Vakakis, and S. Tawfick, "Mechanisms for Impulsive Energy Dissipation and Small-Scale Effects in Microgranular Media" Physical Review E 92 (6): 062206, 2015.
- Li, S., W. Hua, M. Liang, M. Tuo, S. Tawfick, A.J. Hart, Q. Zhu, and H. Xin, "Anisotropic Microwave Conductivity Dispersion of Horizontally Aligned Multi-Walled Carbon-Nanotube Thin Film on Flexible Substrate" IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques 63 (11): 3588-3594, 2015.
- Park, S., A. Schmidt, S. Tawfick, and A.J. Hart, "Precise Control of Elastocapillary Densification of Nanostructures via Low-Pressure Condensation" Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 24 (6): 065019, 2014.
- Brieland-Shoultz, A.*, S. Tawfick*, S. Park, M. Bedewy, M. Maschmann, J.W. Baur, and A.J. Hart, “Scaling the Stiffness, Strength and Toughness of Ceramic Coated Nanotube Foams into the Structural Regime” Advanced Functional Materials 24 (36): 5728-5735, 2014. * equal contribution.
- De Volder, M., S. Park, S. Tawfick, and A.J. Hart, “Strain-Engineered Manufacturing of Freeform Carbon Nanotube Microstructures” Nature Communications 5: 4512, 2014.
- Tawfick, S., Z. Zhao, M. Maschmann, A. Brieland-Schultz, M. De Volder, J.W. Baur, W. Lu, and A.J. Hart, "Mechanics of Capillary Forming of Carbon Nanotubes" Langmuir 29 (17): 5190-5198, 2013.
- De Volder, M., S. Tawfick, R. Baughman, and A.J. Hart, “Carbon Nanotubes – Present and Future Commercial Applications” Science 339: 535-589, 2013.
- Tawfick, S., M. De Volder, and A.J. Hart, “Structurally Programmed Folding of Vertical Nanostructures” Langmuir 27 (10): 6389-6394, 2011.
- Zhao, Z., S. Tawfick, S.J. Park, M. De Volder, A.J. Hart, and W. Lu, “Formation of Asymmetric Filament Assemblies by Elastocapillary Densification” Physical Review E 82: 041605, 2010.
- De Volder, M.*, S. Tawfick*, S. Park, D. Copic, Z. Zhao, W. Lu, and A.J. Hart, “Diverse 3D Microarchitectures Made by Capillary Forming of Carbon Nanotubes” Advanced Materials 22: 4384-4389, 2010 (*equal contribution).
- Tawfick, S., X. Deng, A.J. Hart, and J. Lahann, “Nanocomposite Microstructures with Controllable Mechanical and Chemical Properties” Physical Chemistry and Chemical Physics 12: 4446-4451, 2010.
- De Volder, M., D.O. Vidaud, E.R. Meshot, S. Tawfick, and A.J. Hart, "Self-Similar Organization of Arrays of Individual Carbon Nanotubes and Carbon Nanotube Micropillars" Microelectronic Engineering 87 (5-8):1233-1238, 2010.
- Tawfick, S., K. O’Brien, and A.J. Hart, “Flexible High Conductivity Carbon Nanotube Interconnects Made by Rolling and Printing” Small, 5 (21): 2467-2473, 2009.
- Meshot, E.R., D.L. Plata, S. Tawfick, Y. Zhang, E. Verploegen, and A.J. Hart, “Engineering Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanotube Growth by Decoupled Thermal Treatment of Precursor and Catalyst” ACS Nano, 3 (9): 2477-2486, 2009.
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 2015 - 2018
- ASM International, 2015 - 2017
- American Physical Society, member, 2009 - date
- Materials Research Society, member, 2008 - date
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, member, 2004 - date
- AFOSR Young Investigator Program (2018)
- Chao and Trigger Young Manufacturing Engineer (2017)
- Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award (2016)
- Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship (2011)
- The Ivor K. McIvor Award for Outstanding Research in Applied Mechanics (2011)
- Azarkhin Scholarship for Outstanding Research in Applied Mechanics (2010)
- Robert M. Caddell Memorial Award for Outstanding Manufacturing Research (2010)
- Two-Year Alumni Effective Teaching Award (2020)
- Everett Award for Teaching Excellence (2018)
- Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising (2016, 2017)
- Teachers Ranked Excellent by Their Students (Spring 2015, Spring 2017, Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Fall 2021)
Recent Courses Taught
- BIOE 497 SHT - Individual Study
- ME 370 - Mechanical Design I
- ME 430 - Failure of Engrg Materials
- ME 498 SHT - Fundamentals of nanomanufact
- TAM 424 - Mechanics of Structural Metals
- May 5, 2022
- April 6, 2022
- February 28, 2022
- April 7, 2021
- March 22, 2021
- December 21, 2020