Research Associate Professor
1008 Nat Center for Suprcomp Appl
- Ph.D., Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2006
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, 1993
- Technical Assistant Director, National Center for Supercomputer Applications-NCSA, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2017-present
- Research Associate Professor, Mechanical Science and Engineering Department, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2016-present
- Technical Program Manager, Private Sector Program, National Center for Supercomputer Applications-NCSA, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2014-2017
- Senior Technical Lead for Industrial Projects National Center for Supercomputer Applications-NCSA, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2011-2014
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Mechanical Science and Engineering Department, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2010-2014
- Engineering Applications Analyst National Center for Supercomputer Applications-NCSA, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 1999-2011
- Graduate Research Assistant, National Center for Supercomputer Applications-NCSA, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 1997-1999
- ASME Member
- U of Illinois Continuous Casting Consortium Research Member
- Large-scale multiphysics modeling; high-performance computing; materials processing; biomechanics; sparse direct solver technologies and artficial intelligence.
Books Authored or Co-Authored (Original Editions)
- Koric, S. and B. G. Thomas, Thermo-Mechanical Model of Solidification Processes: Implementation in Abaqus and Application to Continuous Casting of Steel, VDM Verlag Dr. Muller, 2009.
Chapters in Books
- Luo S., Vellakal M., Koric S., Kindratenko V., Cui J. (2020) Parameter Identification of RANS Turbulence Model Using Physics-Embedded Neural Network. In: Jagode H., Anzt H., Juckeland G., Ltaief H. (eds) High Performance Computing. ISC High Performance 2020. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 12321. Springer, Cham.
- Gupta, A., N. Gimelshein, S. Koric, and S. Rennich, "Effective Minimally-Invasive GPU Acceleration of Distributed Sparse Matrix Factorization," in PM., Dutot, D. Trystram editors. "Euro-Par 2016: Parallel Processing" Springer International Publishing 2016, pp. 672-683.
- Giles M., S. Koric, and E. Burness, "U.S. Industrial Supercomputing at NCSA," in: Osseyran A., Giles M. editors. Industrial Applications of High-Performance Computing, CRC Press, 2015, pp. 179-194
Selected Articles in Journals
- Koric, S.; Abueidda, D.W., Deep Learning Sequence Methods in Multiphysics Modeling of Steel Solidification. Metals 2021, 11, 494.
- E. Goli, S. Vyas, S. Koric, N. Sobh, and P. H. Geubelle, ChemNet: A Deep Neural Network for Advanced Composites Manufacturing, J. Phys. Chem. B (2020)
- Abueidda, D.W., Koric, S., Sobh, N.A., Sehitoglu, H., Deep learning for plasticity and thermo-viscoplasticity, International Journal of Plasticity (2021), 136, 102852
- Kollmann, H. T.; Abueidda, D. W.; Koric, S.; Guleryuz, E.; Sobh, N. A. Deep learning for topology optimization of 2D metamaterials. Materials & Design, 2020, 109098.
- Abueidda, D. W., Koric, S., & Sobh, N. A., Topology optimization of 2D structures with nonlinearities using deep learning. Computers & Structures, 2020, 237,106283.
- Matthew L.S. Zappulla, Seong-Mook Cho, Seid Koric, Hyoung-Jun Lee, Seon-Hyo Kim, Brian G. Thomas, Multiphysics modeling of continuous casting of stainless steel, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 278, April 2020
- D. Liu, S. Koric, A. Kontsos, A Multiscale Homogenization Approach for Architectured Knitted Textiles, J. Appl. Mech. Nov 2019, 86(11): 111006
- A.T. Akono, S. Koric, W. Kriven, Influence of pore structure on the strength behavior of particle- and fiber-reinforced metakaolin-based geopolymer composites, Cement and Concrete Composites 2019 104:103361
- Yang, Y., Dora Cai, Y., Lu, Q., Zhang, Y., Koric, S. & Shao, C., Hierarchical Measurement Strategy for Cost-Effective Interpolation of Spatiotemporal Data in Manufacturing, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 2019, 53, 159-168
- D Liu, S Koric, A Kontsos, Parallelized finite element analysis of knitted textile mechanical behavior, Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology 2019, 141 (2)
- Borrell, R., Cajas, J.C., Mira, D., Taha, A., Koric, S., Vázquez, M., Houzeaux, G., Parallel mesh partitioning based on space filling curves, Computers and Fluids, 173(15), 264-272, 2018
- Ashraf Idkaidek, Seid Koric, Iwona Jasiuk, Fracture analysis of multi-osteon cortical bone using XFEM, Computational Mechanics, 62(2), 171-184, 2018
- F.A. Sabet, O. Jin, S. Koric, I. Jasiuk1, Nonlinear micro‐CT based FE modeling of trabecular bone – Sensitivity of apparent response to tissue constitutive law and bone volume fraction, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 34(4), 1-16, 2018
- Vázquez, M., G. Houzeaux, and S. Koric, “Alya: Multiphysics engineering simulation toward exascale,” Journal of Computational Science v14,15-27, 2016.
- Koric, S. and A. Gupta, ”Sparse Matrix Factorization in the Implicit Finite Element Method on Petascale Architecture,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 2016 v.32,281-292, 2016.
- Puzyrev, V. and S. Koric, “Evaluation of parallel direct sparse linear solvers in electromagnetic geophysical problems,” Computers & Geosciences, v89, 79-87, 2016.
- Kale, S., S. Koric, and M. Ostoja-Starzewski, “Stochastic continuum damage mechanics using spring lattice models,” Applied Mechanics and Materials v784, 350-357, 2015.
- Kale, S., A. Saharan, S. Koric, and M. Ostoja-Starzewski, “Scaling and bounds in thermal conductivity of planar Gaussian correlated microstructures,” Journal of Applied Physics 117 (10), 104301, 2015.
- Wen, H., S. Koric, Y. Xin, K. Hsia and L. Xiuling, "Precision structural engineering of self-rolled-up 3D nanomembranes guided by transient quasi-static FEM modeling," Nano Letters, 2014 v14(9) pp. 6293-6297.
- Koric S., Q. Lu, and E. Guleryuz, “Evaluation of massively parallel linear sparse solvers on unstructured finite element meshes,” Computers and Structures, v141, 2014.
- Saharan, A., M. Ostoja-Starzewski, and S. Koric, “Fractal Geometric Characterization of Functionally Graded Materials,” ASCE Journal of Nanomechanics and Micromechanics, 3(4), 2013.
- Zubelewicz, A., D.G. Thompson, M. Ostoja-Starzewski, A. Ionita, D. Shunk, M.W. Lewis, N.S. Kale, and S. Koric, "Fracture model for cemented aggregates," AIP Advances v3, 2013.
- Li, J., A. Saharan, S. Koric and M. Ostoja-Starzewski, Elastic-plastic transitions in 3D random materials: Massively parallel simulations, fractal morphogenesis and scaling function, Philosophical Magazine,2012:92(22) pp 2733-2758
- Koric S., L. C. Hibbeler, R. Liu, and B. G. Thomas, "Multiphysics Model of Metal Solidification on the Continuum Level," Numerical Heat Transfer B, 58, 371-392, 2010.
- Koric, S., B. G. Thomas, and V. R. Voller, "Enhanced Latent Heat Method to Incorporate Superheat Effects Into Fixed-Grid Multiphysics Simulations," Numerical Heat Transfer B, 57, 396-413, 2010.
- Koric, S. L. C. Hibbeler, and B. G. Thomas, "Explicit Coupled Thermo-mechanical Finite Element Model of Steel Solidification," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 78, 1-31, 2009.
- Hibbeler, L. C. S. Koric, K. Xu, C. Spangler, abd B. G. Thomas, "Thermomechanical Modeling of Beam Blank Casting," Iron and Steel Technology, 6(7), 60-73, 2009.
- Koric, S. and B. G. Thomas, "Thermo-mechanical Models of Steel Solidification Based on Two Elastic Visco-plastic Constitutive Laws, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 197, 408-418, 2008.
- Koric, S., and B. G. Thomas, "Efficient Thermo-mechanical Model for Solidification Processes," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 66, 1955-1989, 2006.
- Beldica, C. E., H. H. Hilton, and S. Koric, "Viscoelastic Torsion under Piezoelectric Control - Analytical and Massively Parallel Computational Simulations," Applications of High Performance Computing in Engineering VI, M. Ingber, H. Powers, C. A. Brebbia, eds., pp. 147–156, WIT Press, Boston, 2000, & Proceedings of High Performance Computing Conference (HPC 2000).
- NCSA Best Collaborative Effort Award 2010
- NCSA Technical Achievement Award, December 2013
- Key Scientific Article Certificate, Advances in Engineering 2016
- Chancellor’s List 2005, The US National Award for outstanding graduate/professional students
- High Performance Computing Innovation Excellence Award from the International Data Corporation (IDC) (November 2011)
- High Performance Computing (HPC) Innovation Excellence Award from the International Data Corporation (IDC) (Jun 2014)
- Best Use of an HPC Application in Manufacturing from HPC-wire (November 2014)
- Top Supercomputing Achievement of 2014 from HPC-wire (November 2014)
- Editors Choice, Journal of Applied Physics (Jun 2015)
- HPCwire Editors' Choice Award for Top Supercomputing Achievement, (November 2017)
- Editor's Choice, Best Use of HPC in Automotive from HPC-wire, with Rolls-Royce, Cray and LSTC, November 2018 (November 2018)
- HPC Innovation Excellence Award from Hyperion Research for the first successful implementation of Artificial Intelligence in Materials Processing, November 2020 (November 2020)
- August 13, 2021
- July 1, 2021
- April 20, 2021
- November 25, 2020
- October 1, 2020
- September 16, 2020