For More Information
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2014. PhD Advisors: Laurence Jacobs, Jianmin Qu
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2013
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2008
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, January 2017 - present.
- ETH Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Mechanical and Process Engineering, ETH Zürich, August 2014 - December 2016. Advisor: Chiara Daraio
Other Professional Employment
- Air Force Research Lab Summer Faculty Fellowship, AFRL, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, May-June 2018
- Damage-tolerant metamaterials
- Wave propagation in complex media
- Additive manufacturing
- Mechanical metamaterials
- Ultrasonic nondestructive evaluation
- Phononic materials
- Applied Physics
- Dynamics & Controls
- Security and Defense
- Solid Mechanics and Materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- O. Babatola, G. Patil, D. Hsieh, K.H. Matlack, S. Sinha, "Independently Tunable Thermal Conductance and Phononic Band gaps of 3D Lattice Materials", Advanced Engineering Materials, 22, 1901004 (2020).
- I. Grinberg, K.H. Matlack, "Nonlinear elastic wave propagation in a phononic material with periodic solid-solid contact interface", Wave Motion, 93, 102466 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wavemoti.2019.102466
- G. U. Patil, A. Shedge, K. H. Matlack, "3D auxetic lattice materials for anomalous elastic wave polarization", Applied Physics Letters, 115, 091902 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5116687
- I. Arretche, K. H. Matlack, "Experimental testing of vibration mitigation in 3D printed architected metastructures," Journal of Applied Mechanics, 86(11), 111008, (2019). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4044135.
- G. U. Patil, K.H. Matlack, "Effective property evaluation and analysis of three-dimensional periodic lattices and composites through Bloch-wave homogenization," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol. 145(3), 1259-1269 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1121/1.5091690
- C. Nimmagadda, K.H. Matlack. "Thermally tunable band gaps in architected metamaterial structures". Journal of Sound and Vibration, vol. 439, 20, 29-42 (2019) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2018.09.053.
- I. Arretche, K.H. Matlack."On the Interrelationship Between Static and Vibration Mitigation Properties of Architected Metastructures." Frontiers in Materials, vol. 5, article 68, pg. 1-16 (2018). https://doi.org/10.3389/fmats.2018.00068.
- K.H. Matlack, M. Serra-Garcia, A. Palermo, S. D. Huber, and C. Daraio, "Designing perturbative metamaterials from discrete models", Nature Materials, 17, 323–328, 2018.
- K.H. Matlack, A. Bauhofer, S. Krödel, A. Palermo, and C. Daraio, "Composite 3D printed meta-structures for low frequency and broadband vibration absorption," PNAS, 113 (30), 8386-8390, 2016.
- K.H. Matlack, H. Bradley, S. Thiele, J.-Y. Kim, J.J. Wall, H.J. Jung, J. Qu, and L.J. Jacobs, â€œNonlinear ultrasonic characterization of precipitation in 17-4PH stainless steel," NDT&E International, 71, 8-15, 2015.
- K.H. Matlack, J.-Y. Kim, J. Qu, and L.J. Jacobs, "Review of second harmonic generation measurement techniques in metallic materials," Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, 33 (4), 1-23, 2014.
- K.H. Matlack, J.-Y. Kim, J.J. Wall, J. Qu, L.J. Jacobs, and M. Sokolov, "Sensitivity of ultrasonic nonlinearity to irradiated, annealed, and re-irradiated microstructure changes in RPV steels," Journal of Nuclear Materials, 448, 26-32, 2014.
- K.H. Matlack, J.J. Wall, J.-Y. Kim, J. Qu, L.J. Jacobs, and H.-W. Viehrig, "Evaluation of radiation damage using nonlinear ultrasound," Journal of Applied Physics, 111 (5), 2012.
- K.H. Matlack, J.-Y. Kim, L.J. Jacobs, and J. Qu, "Experimental characterization of efficient second harmonic generation of Lamb wave modes in a nonlinear elastic isotropic plate," Journal of Applied Physics, 109 (014905), 2011.
- The Grainger College of Engineering Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research (2023)
- NSF CAREER Award (2021)
- 2021 Journal of Applied Mechanics Award (2021)
- Army Research Office Young Investigator Award (July 2020)
- Air Force Young Investigator Research Program Award (Oct 2019)
- Haythornthwaite Research Initiation Grant, ASME Applied Mechanics Division (November 2018)
Recent Courses Taught
- TAM 212 - Introductory Dynamics
- TAM 412 - Intermediate Dynamics
- TAM 451 - Intermediate Solid Mechanics
- TAM 598 KM - Phononics and Metamaterials
- May 1, 2023
April 6, 2023
UIUC-led team will establish new multidisciplinary field and transform DoD air vehicles
- February 27, 2023
- December 8, 2022
- September 1, 2022
- May 4, 2022