4421 Mechanical Engineering Lab
For more information
- PhD Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University, 2016
- MSc Thermal Engineering, Tsinghua University, 2011
- BSc Thermal Engineering, Tsinghua University, 2009
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Mechanical Science and Engineering, Jan. 2019 - present
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Mechanical Science and Engineering, Jul. 2018 - Jan. 2019
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Princeton University, Sep. 2016 - Dec. 2019
- ME 310 Fundamental Fluid Mechanics, Spring 2021
- TAM 335 Introductory Fluid Mechanics, Spring 2019/Spring 2020/Fall 2020
- We study micro-scale transport phenomena of structurally complex fluids and interfaces, to derive new insights in physico-chemical mechanisms and continuum-scale mechanics of multi-phase soft matter systems, as well as for their applications to solving some most challenging problems in environment remediation and human health, such as pollutant and disease control, oil recovery, drug delivery and nanomedicines. We actively tackle problems and explore new research directions by using microscopy, microfluidics, high-speed imaging and image analysis, materials processing and characterization. We also complement our experiments with theoretical modeling and numerical simulations, using ideas from fluid dynamics, polymer physics, colloidal science and biophysics. Our work is thus highly multi-disciplinary, combining expertise from engineering, physics, chemistry, materials science and biology. Our ultimate goal is to bridge fundamental research with meaningful and positive societal impacts. Currently, we focus on three key areas in our work: (1) Bubble dynamics with a compound interface (2) Vesicle responses in non-equilibrium environment (3) Polymer self-assembly for delivery and diagnostic
- Applied Physics
- Fluid Mechanics
- Health and Bio
Selected Articles in Journals
- Ji, B, Yang, Z, and Feng, J, Oil-coated bubble formation from submerged co-axial orifices, Physical Review Fluids, accepted.
- Chun, S., Feng, J., Preparation of abamectin nanopesticides by Flash NanoPrecipitation for extended photostability and sustained release, ACS Applied Nano Materials, accepted.
- Malik, V. K., Shin, S., Feng, J, Light-triggered explosion of lipid vesicles, Soft Matter, 16, 8904-8911, 2020.
- Yan, X., Qin, Y., Chen, F., Zhao, G., Sett, S., Hoque, M. J., Rabbi, K. F., Zhang, X., Wang, Z., Li, L., Chen, F., Feng, J, Miljkovic, N., Laplace pressure driven single-droplet jumping on structured surfaces, ACS Nano, 14, 12796-12809, 2020.
- Chao, Y., Tak Hung, L., Feng, J., Yuan, H., Pan, Y., Guo, W., Zhang, Y., Shum, H. C., 2020. Flower-like droplets by self-emulsification of a phase-separating (SEPS) aqueous film, Soft Matter, 16, 6050-6055.
- Tian, C., Feng, J., and Prud'homme, R.K., 2020. Adsorption dynamics of polymeric nanoparticles at an air-water interface with addition of surfactants, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 575, 416-424.
- Shin, S., Down, V.S., Feng, J. 2019. Osmotic delivery and release of lipid-encapsulated molecules via sequential solution exchange. Physical Review Applied, 12, 024014.
- Feng, J., Markwalter, C.E., Tian, C., Armstrong, M. and Prud'homme, R.K., 2019. Translational formulation of nanoparticle therapeutics from laboratory discovery to clinical scale. Journal of Translational Medicine, 17, 200.
- Ristroph, K.D., Feng, J., McManus, S.A., Zhang, Y., Gong, K., Ramachandruni, H., White, C.E. and Prud'homme, R.K., 2019. Spray drying OZ439 nanoparticles to form stable, water-dispersible powders for oral Malaria therapy. Journal of Translational Medicine, 17, 97.
- Feng, J., Zhang, Y., McManus, S., Qian, R., Ristroph, K., Ramachandruni, H., Gong, K., White, C.E., Rawal, A. and Prud'homme, R., 2019. Amorphous nanoparticles by self-assembly: processing for controlled release of hydrophobic molecules. Soft Matter, 15, 2400-2410.
- Lu, H.D., Ristroph, K.D., Dobrijevic, E.L., Feng, J., McManus, S.A., Zhang, Y., Mulhearn, W.D., Ramachandruni, H., Patel, A. and Prud’homme, R.K., 2018. Encapsulation of OZ439 into nanoparticles for supersaturated drug release in oral Malaria therapy. ACS Infectious Diseases, 4(6), 970-979.
- Feng, J., Zhang, Y., McManus, S.A., Ristroph, K.D., Lu, H.D., Gong, K., White, C.E. and Prud’homme, R.K., 2018. Rapid recovery of clofazimine-loaded nanoparticles with long-term storage stability as anti-Cryptosporidium therapy. ACS Applied Nano Materials, 1(5), 2184-2194.
- Tian, C.*,Feng, J.*, Cho H.J., Data S. and Prud’homme, R.K., 2018. Adsorption and denaturation of structured polymeric nanoparticles at an interface. Nano Letters, 18(8), 4854-4860 (*equal contribution)
- Yan, J., Moreau, A., Khodaparast, S., Perazzo, A., Feng, J., Fei C., Mao, S., Mukherjee, S., Kosmrlj, A., Wingreen, N.S., Bassler, B.L., and Stone, H.A., 2018. Bacterial biofilm material properties enable removal and transfer by capillary peeling. Advanced Materials, 1804153
- Zhang, Y., Feng, J., McManus, S.A., Lu, H.D., Ristroph, K.D., Cho, E.J., Dobrijevic, E.L., Chan, H.K. and Prud’homme, R.K., 2017. Design and solidification of fast-releasing clofazimine nanoparticles for treatment of Cryptosporidiosis. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 14(10), 3480-3488.
- Shin, S., Ault, J.T., Feng, J., Warren, P.B. and Stone, H.A., 2017. Low‐cost zeta potentiometry using solute gradients. Advanced Materials, 29(30), 1701516.
- Feng, J., Nunes, J.K., Shin, S., Yan, J., Kong, Y.L., Prud'homme, R.K., Arnaudov, L.N., Stoyanov, S.D. and Stone, H.A., 2016. A scalable platform for functional nanomaterials via bubble‐bursting. Advanced Materials, 28(21), 4047-4052.
- Feng, J., Muradoglu, M., Kim, H., Ault, J.T. and Stone, H.A., 2016. Dynamics of a bubble bouncing at a liquid/liquid/gas interface. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 807, 324-352.
- Feng, J., Jacobi, I. and Stone, H.A., 2016. Experimental investigation of the Faraday instability on a patterned Surface. Experiments in Fluids, 57(5), 86.
- Kong, Y.L., Boulogne, F., Kim, H., Nunes, J., Feng, J. and Stone, H.A., 2015. Deposition of quantum dots in a capillary tube. Langmuir, 31(45), 12560-12566.
- Stewart, P.S., Feng, J., Kimpton, L.S., Griffiths, I.M. and Stone, H.A., 2015. Stability of a Bi-layer Free Film: simultaneous or individual rupture events? Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 777, 27-49.
- Pak, O.S.*, Feng, J.* and Stone, H.A., 2014. Viscous Marangoni migration of a drop in a Poiseuille flow at low surface Péclet numbers. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 753, 535-552. (*equal contribution)
- Feng, J., Roché, M., Vigolo, D., Arnaudov, L.N., Stoyanov, S.D., Gurkov, T.D., Tsutsumanova, G.G. and Stone, H.A., 2014. Nanoemulsions obtained via bubble-bursting at a compound interface. Nature Physics, 10(8), 606-612
- Quinn, D.B., Feng, J. and Stone, H.A., 2013. Analytical model for the deformation of a fluid–fluid interface beneath an AFM probe. Langmuir, 29(5), 1427-1434.
- R. K. Prud'homme, B. Powell, V. Pansare, N. Caggiano, J. Feng, Dihydromyricetin Spray-dried Dispersion Formulations and Methods for Forming them. U.S. Provisional Patent Ser. NO. 62/767,197 filed November 14, 2018.
- S. Shin, J. T. Ault, J. Feng, H. A. Stone. Zeta Potentiometer Using Diffusiophoresis and Diffusioosmosis. U.S. Provisional Patent Ser. NO. 62/594,871, filed on Dec 5, 2017.
- J. T. Ault, S. Shin, H. A. Stone, J. Feng, P. Warren. Methods of Particle Manipulation and Analysis. U.S. Provisional Patent Ser. NO. 16/210,760, filed on Dec 5, 2017.
- R. K. Prud'homme, J. Feng, K. D. Ristroph, H. Lu, Y. Zhang, S. A. McManus, Cellulosic Polymer Nanoparticles and Methods for Forming them. U.S. Provisional Patent Ser. NO. 62/557,744, filed on Sep 12, 2017.
- Member, American Physical Society (APS)
- Member, American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
- Member, Controlled Release Society (CRS)
- Research Support Award, Univ. of Illinois (2019)
- Princeton's nominee for Blavatnik Regional Postdoctoral Award (2018)
- Wallace Memorial Honorific Fellowship, Princeton University (2016)
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad (2016)
- Wu Prize for Excellence, Princeton University (2015)
- Eli and Britt Harari University Fellowship, Princeton University (2013)
- Graduation with Highest Honors, Tsinghua University (2009, 2011)
- ME 310 - Fundamentals of Fluid Dynamics
- TAM 335 - Introductory Fluid Mechanics
- TAM 435 - Intermediate Fluid Mechanics
- October 6, 2020
- June 23, 2020
- December 18, 2019
- May 3, 2019
- March 28, 2019