Teaching Assistant Professor
136 Computing Applications Bldg
TCH ASST PROF
136 Computing Applications Bldg
- Ph.D., Energy Resources Engineering, Stanford University, 2016
- M.S., Chemistry, New York University, 2011
- B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, University of Science and Technology of China, 2009
- Teaching Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Jan 2019 - present
- Adjunct Teaching Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Aug 2018 - Dec 2018
Other Professional Employment
- Reservoir Engineer, Shell International Exploration & Production Inc., Houston, TX, Jan 2016- Dec 2018
- Petroleum Engineering
- Carbon Capture
- Porous Materials
- Fluid Mechanics
- Solid Mechanics and Materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- S. Chen, H. Gong, B. Dindoruk, J. He, Z. Bao, Dense Carbon Nanoflower Pellets for Methane Storage, ACS Appl. Nano Mater. 2020, 3, 8278-8285.
- H. Pilorgé, N. McQueen, D. Maynard, P. Psarras, J. He, T. Rufael, J. Wilcox, Cost Analysis of Carbon Capture and Sequestration of Process Emissions from the U.S. Industrial Sector, Environ. Sci. Technol. 2020, 54 (12), 7524-7532.
- N. McQueen, P. Psarras, H. Pilorgé, S. Liguori, J. He, M. Yuan, C. M. Woodall, K. Kian, L. Pierpoint, J. Jurewicz, J. M. Lucas, R. Jacobson, N. Deich, J. Wilcox, Cost Analysis of Direct Air Capture and Sequestration Coupled to Low-Carbon Thermal Energy in the United States, Environ. Sci. Technol. 2020, 54 (12), 7542-7551.
- P. Psarras, J. He, H. Pilorgé, N. McQueen, A. Jensen-Fellows, K. Kian, J. Wilcox, Cost Analysis of Carbon Capture and Sequestration from U.S. Natural Gas-Fired Power Plants, Environ. Sci. Technol. 2020, 54 (10), 6272-6280.
- J. He, B. Dindoruk, Modeling pore proximity using a modified simplified local density approach. J. Nat. Gas Sci. Eng. 2020, 73, 103063.
- P. Psarras, J. He, J. Wilcox, Effect of Water on the CO2 Adsorption Capacity of Amine-Functionalized Carbon Sorbents. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2017, 56, 6317-6325.
- C. Shi, L. Zhang, L. Xie, X. Lu, Q. Liu, J. He, C. A. Mantilla, F. G. A. Van der berg, H. Zeng, Surface Interaction of Water-in-Oil Emulsion Droplets with Interfacially Active Asphaltenes. Langmuir 2017, 33, 1265-1274.
- J. W. F. To, J. W. D. Ng, S. Siahrostami, A. L. Koh, Y. Lee, Z. Chen, K. D. Fong, S. Chen, J. He, W.-G. Bae, J. Wilcox, H. Y. Jeong, K. Kim, F. Studt, J. K. Nørskov, T. F. Jaramillo, Z. Bao, High-Performance Oxygen Reduction and Evolution Carbon Catalysis: From Mechanistic Studies to Device Integration. Nano Res. 2017, 10, 1163-1177.
- H. Li, S. H. Ahn, S. Park, L. Cai, J. Zhao, J. He, M. Zhou, J. Park, X. Zheng, Molybdenum Disulfide Catalyzed Tungsten Oxide for On-Chip Acetone Sensing. Appl. Phys. Lett. 2016, 109, 133103.
- J. He, J. W. F. To (equal contributor), P. C. Psarras, H. Yan, T. Atkinson, R. T. Holmes, D. Nordlund, Z. Bao, J. Wilcox, Tunable Polyaniline-Based Porous Carbon with Ultrahigh Surface Area for CO2 Capture at Elevated Pressure. Adv. Energy Mater. 2016, 6, 1502491.
- J. W. F. To, J. He (equal contributor), J. Mei, R. Haphpanah, Z. Chen, T. Kurosawa, S. Chen, W.-G. Bae, L. Pan, J. B.-H. Tok, J. Wilcox, Z. Bao, Hierarchical N-doped Carbon as CO2 Adsorbent with High CO2 Selectivity from Rationally Designed Polypyrrole Precursor. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 1001-1009.
- P. Psarras, J. He, J. Wilcox, Molecular Simulations of Nitrogen-Dope Hierarchical Carbon Adsorbents for Post-Combustion CO2 Capture. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2016, 18, 28747-28758.
- M. Zhou, L. Cai, M. Bajdich, M. García-Melchor, H. Li, J. He, J. Wilcox, W. Wu, A. Vojvodic, X. Zheng, Enhancing Catalytic CO Oxidation over Co3O4 Nanowires by Substituting Co2+ with Cu2+. ACS Catal. 2015, 5, 4485-4491.
- J. W. F. To, Z. Chen, H. Yao, J. He, K. Kim, H.-H. Chou, L. Pan; J. Wilcox, Y. Cui, Z. Bao, Ultra-High Surface Area Three-Dimensional Porous Graphitic Carbon from Conjugated Polymeric Molecular Framework. ACS Cent. Sci. 2015, 1, 68-76.
- J. He, J. To, J. Mei, Z. Bao, J. Wilcox, Facile Synthesis of Nitrogen-doped Porous Carbon for Selective CO2 Capture. Energy Procedia 2014, 63, 2144-2151.
- L. Cai, I. S. Cho, M. Logar, A. Mehta, J. He, C. H. Lee, P. M. Rao, Y. Feng, J. Wilcox, F. B. Prinz, X. Zheng, Sol-Flame Synthesis of Cobalt-Doped TiO2 Nanowires with Enhanced Electrocatalytic Activity for Oxygen Evolution Reaction. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2014, 16, 12299-12306.
- J. Wilcox, R. Haghapanah, E. C. Rupp, J. He, K. Lee, Advancing Adsorption and Membrane-Separation Processes for the Gigaton Carbon Capture Challenge. Annual Review of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering 2014, 7, 1769-1785.
- J. Wilcox, P. Rochana, A. Kirchofer, G. Glatz, J. He, Revisiting Film Theory to Consider Approaches for Enhanced Solvent-Process Design for Carbon Capture. Energy Environ. Sci. 2014, 7, 1769-1785.
- K. Mosher, J. He, Y. Liu, J. Wilcox, Molecular Simulation of Methane Adsorption in Micro- and Mesoporous Carbons with Applications to Coal and Gas Shale Systems. Int. J. Coal Geol. 2013, 109-110, 36-44.
- S. Bian, J. He (equal contributor), K. B. Schesing, A. B. Braunschweig, Polymer Pen Lithography (PPL)- Induced Site-Specific Click Chemistry for the Formation of Functional Clycan Arrys. Small 2012, 8, 2000- 2005.
- H.-P. Cong, J.-J. He (equal contributor), Y. Lu, S.-H. Yu, Water-Soluble Magnetic-Functionalized Reduced Graphene Oxide Sheets: In situ Synthesis and Magnetic Resonance Imaging Applications. Small 2009, 6, 169-173.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- G. Herring, M. Yusuf, Y.-T. Cheng, M. Yuen, C.-W. Chang, Y. Qi, J. He, B. Dindoruk, L. Hesselink. High Resolution X-Ray Differential Phase Contrast for Fluid Imaging in Porous Media. Bulletin of the American Physical Society, 2018, 63, 13.
- Executive Editor, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, Elsevier, 2020 - present
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-financed Students Abroad (2016)
- Stanford Global Climate & Energy Project Honorable Poster Award (2014)
- McCracken Fellowship, New York University (2009 - 2010)
- Levenick iSEE Teaching Sustanability Fellowship (Feb 2021)
- Teachers Ranked as Excellent, ME 200 (Summer 2019)
- Teachers Ranked as Excellent, ME 502 (Spring 2019)
- ME 200 - Thermodynamics
- ME 402 - Design of Thermal Systems
- ME 502 - Thermal Systems
- April 22, 2021
- November 10, 2019
- November 7, 2019
- March 26, 2019