Lu MEB transformation updates: October 2020
10/21/2020 5:09:42 PM
Since I last provided details on the transformation of the Sidney Lu Mechanical Engineering Building, much has happened! Here are some of the current exciting things happening:
- The new elevator has its track installed and the machine is onsite waiting in the penthouse for its first trip.
- The basement and first floor have drywall hung, and it's currently being taped and mudded.
- New ceiling grids are underway on the first floor.
- The first floor is prepping for the new terrazzo finish in a couple weeks.
- New roof is 98% complete!
- Exposed ceiling areas and installed mechanical, electrical, and plumbing are being painted a rich, very dark gray.
- Custom railing details are under review for two of our main stairwells.
- The new curtainwall assembly has begun on the east elevation of the building; all material is onsite to wrap around and enclose the south elevation soon.
- The last two air handling units arrived in pieces and are now being put together into their final place.
- Limestone masonry repairs are underway and exterior brick restoration is 50% done.
- The new restrooms are really coming along, with the drywall ceiling installed in the basement and the first and secon floors, and ceramic floor tile is getting going on first floor.
- The Starbucks design continues development in the Student Center area. They look to begin construction in about a month.
- At least six artists have been identified to provide us ideas for a kinetic art piece.
- The team continues to make progress on WELL policies and understanding.
- Nine of our students have begun the first cohort in CNC Machine Training to help us lead the new hands-on experience.
Here are current expected completion times:
- Courtyard: 12/31/2020
- Existing building renovation: 1/20/2021
- East addtion: 2/23/2021
- Substantially complete: 3/31/2021
- Final completion: 5/25/2021
- Move back! TBD
Video by Justin Kao.