Do I Have to Take or Retake the TOEFL/IELTS?
English language requirements for admission
- Please see the Exemptions list to see if you qualify for a TOEFL/IELTS exemption for admission.
- If you earn your BS and/or MS in the United States or in another country in which English is the primary spoken language, you qualify for a TOEFL/IELTS exemption.
English language requirements for Teaching Assistantship (TA) eligibility
- TA appointments can be a very important part of funding your graduate program
- The State of Illinois requires that all English as a Second Language (ESL) students, regardless of citizenship status, must achieve a minimum score of 24 on the Speaking portion of the TOEFL iBT or a minumum score of 8.0 on the Speaking portion of the IELTS. This State policy cannot be waived.
- TOEFL/IELTS scores are valid for 2 years prior to the proposed term of entry. For example, an applicant applying for Fall 2020 should have taken the TOEFL in or after August 2018.
- MechSE strongly urges all ESL applicants to MS/PhD programs to provide TOEFL/IELTS scores regardless of waiver eligibility because TOEFL/IELTS scores are required for TA eligibility.
- M.Eng.ME applicants qualify for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver if they have completed at least 2 years of full-time professional work experience in a country where English is the primary language within 5 years of the proposed term of enrollment at Illinois.
- The work experience waiver is not available for MS/PhD applicants.