Stephen Douglas Downing
- Adjunct Senior Lecturer
Adj Senior Lecturer
- Ph,D, ME University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign 1983
- M.S. TAM University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign 1971
- B.S. TAM University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign 1970
- Adj. Senior Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, August 2017-date
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, November 2015-June 2017
- Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, August 2006-November 2015
- Downing, S.D., “Comparison of Total and Incremental Plasticity Analyses for Two Classes of Problems”, M.S. Thesis, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois, 1971.
- Tucker, L.E., S.D.Downing and L.Camillo, “Accuracy of Simplified Fatigue Prediction Methods”, SAE Paper No. 750043.
- Downing, S.D., D.R.Galliart and T.A.Berenyi, “A Neuber’s Rule Fatigue Analysis Procedure for Use with a Mobile Computer”, SAE Paper No. 760317.
- Galliart, D.R., and S.D.Downing, “Development of Data Reduction Procedures Which Yield Useful Design Parameters”, SAE Paper No. 760682.
- Galliart, D.R., S.D.Downing and H.D.Berns, “Computer Based Material Properties…An Effective Link to Reliable Products”, Closed Loop, Vol. 9, No. 1,May 1979, pp. 3-14.
- Downing, S.D. and D.F.Socie, “Simple Rainflow Counting Algorithms”, International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 4, No. 1, January 1982, pp. 31-40.
- Downing, S.D. and D.F.Socie, “Stress/Strain Simulation for Gray Cast Iron”, International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 4, No. 3, July 1982, pp. 143-148.
- Downing, S.D., “Modeling Cyclic Deformation and Fatigue Behavior of Cast Iron under Uniaxial Loading”, PhD Thesis, Mechanical Engineering, University Of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1983.
- Downing, S.D. and D.F.Socie, “Modeling the Cyclic Deformation Behavior of Gray Iron Under Axial Strain”, Proceedings of SEECO ’83, Digital Techniques in Fatigue, Siciety of Environmental Engineers, The City University, London, England, 28-30 March 1983, pp. 152-175.
- Downing, S.D. and D.R. Galliart, "A Fatigue test System for a Notched Shaft in Combined Bending and Torsion," in Multiaxial Fatigue, ASTM STP 853, K, J. Miller and M. W. Brown, Eds. American Society of Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1985, pp 24-32.
- Miller, N.R, D.F.Socie and S.D.Downing, “New Developments in Field Computer Systems”, Society of Automotive Engineering, Earthmoving Industry Conference, SAE Paper No.870804, 1987.
- Kurath, P, S.D. Downing and D.R. Galliart, “Summary of Non-Hardened Notched Shaft Round Robin Program”, Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE AE-14, Multiaxial Fatigue, Analysis and Experiments, 1989.
- Socie, D.F. and S.D.Downing, “Data Acquisition in Rail Vehicles,” Engineering Integrity in Rail Transport Systems, EMAS Publishing, 347-359, 1992.
- Socie, D.F and S.D. Downing, “Statistical Strain-Life Fatigue Analysis”, Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Paper No. 960566, 1996.
- Downing, S.D, Primary Contributor, “Chapter 10 – Fatigue Life Prediction”, Society of Automotive Engineers, Fatigue Design Handbook, Third Edition, 1997
- Socie, D.F and S.D. Downing, “Statistical Strain-Life Fatigue Analysis”, Society of Automotive Engineers, Recent Developments in Fatigue Technology, SAE PT-67, 383-388, 1997
- Socie, D.F, J.S. Roth and S.D. Downing, “Modeling Variability in Service Loading”, AUTOTEST 98, IDIADA, Barcelona, Spain, (CD ROM), June 1998
- Downing, S.D. and D.F. Socie, “Statistical Techniques for Validating Field Test data for Fatigue Analysis”, Proceedings of the 46th Annual Technical Meeting of the Institute of Environmental Sciences andTechnology, Providence, RI, May, 2000 375-379
- 2018 MechSE Alumni Five Year Effective Teaching Award.
- 2016 Campus Level Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award
- 2016 College of Engineering Teaching Excellence Award
- 2016 MechSE Alumni Two Year Effective Teaching Award.
- 2015 MechSE Alumni Five Year Effective Teaching Award.
- 2014 MechSE Alumni Two Year Effective Teaching Award.
Recent Courses Taught
- ME 330 - Engineering Materials
- ME 371 - Mechanical Design II
- ME 431 - Mechanical Component Failure
- TAM 201 - Mechanics for Technol & Mgmt