Randy H Ewoldt
Associate Professor; Kritzer Faculty Scholar
4411 Mechanical Engineering Lab
For more information
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2009
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University, 2004
- Associate Professor, UIUC, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, August 16, 2017-date
- Guest Professor, ETH Zurich (Switzerland), Department of Materials, January - June 2018
- Assistant Professor, UIUC, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, August 16, 2011-Aug 15, 2017
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Minnesota, Institute for Mathematics and its Applications & Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, 2009-2011
- Prof. Ewoldt conducts fundamental research in fluid mechanics and rheology of complex fluids motivated by both their unavoidable and opportunistic novel functionality. Work often involves interdisciplinary collaborations and is a combination of experiment and theory. Complex fluids are ubiquitous in nature and in man-made applications and therefore research extends from bioengineering to manufacturing and robotics.
- Computation and Applied Math
- Fluid Mechanics
- Health and Bio
- Security and Defense
- Solid Mechanics and Materials
- Thermo and Heat Transfer
Chapters in Books
- Ewoldt, R.H., M.T. Johnston, and L.M. Caretta, "Experimental challenges of shear rheology: how to avoid bad data," in: S. Spagnolie (Editor), Complex Fluids in Biological Systems, Springer Biological Engineering Series, pp 207-241 (2015). [Topic of a recorded webinar (2016) with >7,500 views]
Selected Articles in Journals
- Nelson, A. Z., K. S. Schweizer, B. M. Rauzan, R. G. Nuzzo, J. Vermant, and R. H. Ewoldt, "Designing and transforming yield-stress fluids," Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science, 23 (5), 100758 (2019).
- Chaudhary, G.,A. Ghosh, N.A. Bharadwaj, J.G.Kang, P.V. Braun, K. S. Schweizer, and R. H. Ewoldt, “Thermoresponsive stiffening with microgel particles in a semiflexible fibrin network,” Macromolecules, 52 (8), 3029-3041 (2019).
- Martinetti, L., J. M. Soulages, and R. H. Ewoldt, "Continuous relaxation spectra for constitutive models in medium-amplitude oscillatory shear," Journal of Rheology, 62(5), 1271-1298 (2018).
- Lee, Y. H., J. K. Schuh, R. H. Ewoldt, and J. T. Allison, "Enhancing full-film lubrication performance via arbitrary surface texture design," Journal of Mechanical Design, 139(5), 053401 (2017). [2017 Journal of Mechanical Design Editors' Choice Award - Honorable Mention]
- Blackwell, B. C., A. E. Nadhan, and R. H. Ewoldt, "Impacts of yield-stress fluid drops on permeable meshes," Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 238, 107-114 (2016).
- Freund, J. B. and R. H. Ewoldt, "Quantitative rheological model selection: good fits versus credible models using Bayesian inference," Journal of Rheology, 59(3), 667-701 (2015).
- Ewoldt, R. H. and N. A. Bharadwaj, “Low-dimensional intrinsic material functions for nonlinear viscoelasticity,” Rheologica Acta, 52(3), 201-219 (2013).
- Celli, J. P., B. S. Turner, N. H. Afdahl, S. Keates, I. Ghiran, C. Kelly, R. H. Ewoldt, G. H. McKinley, P. So, S. Erramilli, and R. Bansil, “Helicobacter Pylori Moves Through Mucus by Reducing Mucin Viscoelasticity,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106 (34), 14321-14326, 2009.
- Ewoldt, R. H., A. E. Hosoi, and G.H. McKinley, “New Measures for Characterizing Nonlinear Viscoelasticity in Large Amplitude Oscillatory Shear,” Journal of Rheology 52(6), 1427-1458, 2008. [highest number of citations among all articles published in Journal of Rheology 1999-2018]
- 73rd Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics, "Designing complex fluids," Chicago, IL (virtual), November 22, 2020 (Invited Talk)
- 8th International Symposium on Food Rheology and Structure, Zurich, Switzerland, "Design of yield-stress fluids," June 18, 2019 (invited plenary lecture)
- The 27th Nordic Rheology Conference, Trondheim, Norway, "Engineering yield-stress fluids for a better world," June 13-15, 2018 (invited plenary lecture)
- TA Instruments Webinar, New Castle, DE, "Experimental challenges of shear rheology: how to avoid bad data," September 15, 2016.
- The Society of Rheology 86th Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, "Low-dimensional material functions for describing asymptotically-nonlinear viscoelasticity," October 9, 2014 (Plenary Lecture).
- Brazilian Society of Rheology, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, "Low-dimensional amplitude-intrinsic material functions for nonlinear viscoelasticity," July 10, 2013 (Plenary Lecture).
- Member, The Society of Rheology
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Member, American Physical Society (APS)
- Two-Year Alumni Effective Teaching Award, MechSE Alumni, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2020
- Five-Year Alumni Effective Teaching Award, MechSE Alumni, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2019
- Collins Award for Innovative Teaching, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2018
- Two-Year Alumni Effective Teaching Award, MechSE Alumni, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2017
- Rose Award for Teaching Excellence, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2015
- Presidential Early Career Award for Science and Engineering (PECASE), 2017
- Dean's Award for Research Excellence, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016
- Arthur B. Metzner Early Career Award, The Society of Rheology, 2014
- NSF-CAREER Award, 2014
- 3M Nontenured Faculty Award, 2014
- DuPont Young Professor Award, 2014
- ASME Pi Tau Sigma Gold Medal, 2013
- Doctoral New Investigator Award, American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund, 2013
- Distinguished Young Rheologist Award, TA Instruments, 2013
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, 2009-2011 (2009-2011)
- Luis de Florez Award for Outstanding Ingenuity and Creativity, M.I.T., 2009
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2004-2007
- Campus Distinguished Promotion Award, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2017
- Cardinal Key Honor Society, Iowa State University, 2004
- Robert C. Fellinger Prize in Thermal Science, Iowa State University, 2004
- Top Graduate in the College of Engineering, Iowa State University, 2004
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, Iowa State University, 2003
- Pride@Boeing Award, employee recognition for exceptional performance, 2002
- Pi Tau Sigma Mechanical Engineering Honor Society, 2002
- TAM 251 - Introductory Solid Mechanics
- TAM 335 - Introductory Fluid Mechanics
- TAM 435 - Intermediate Fluid Mechanics
- TAM 498 - Rheology
- TAM 532 - Viscous Flow
- TAM 539 - Fluid Mechanics Seminar
- TAM 598 - Non-Newt Fl. Mech. & Rheology
- TAM 598 - Solids TA Training
- March 24, 2021
- February 25, 2021
- November 20, 2020
- July 7, 2020
- June 11, 2020
- May 14, 2020