Campus and Community
Find out about life on the Illinois campus from the main University of Illinois website’s Campus Life section.
The Champaign-Urbana Community
Champaign-Urbana is a thriving community located within three hours of Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis. Check out yourewelcomecu.com to get the scoop on everything that's awesome about Champaign-Urbana.
Both within the University of Illinois and elsewhere, great things are happening--you can read about a few of them below:
- In 2017, US News & World Report ranked the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as the #14 public university and the MechSE #6 in the country.
- Business Insider – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign ranked #9 on “The 10 Best Public Universities in America” list, July 2015.
- Forbes – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign named #11 of the top 25 best Midwest colleges, July 2015.
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign ranked #12 on Money Magazine's list of the Top 50 public colleges for 2017.
- Money Magazine also rated UIUC as #22 "best college for your money."
- Lumosity ranked Champaign-Urbana the smartest metropolitan area in Illinois and #13 on the list of "America's smartest cities".
- With an average commute time of about 15 minutes, Obrella.com ranked Champaign and Urbana as the 7th and 8th best commuter cities in Illinois.
- FiveThirtyEight – Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (CUMTD) ranked #3 for Public Transit Use in Small Cities (and #7 overall), July 2014.
- TECH Cocktail – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign named one of the top public schools to produce the best startup talent, July 2015.
- Popular Mechanics – Urbana-Champaign ranked #11 on “The 14 Best Startup Cities in America” list, January 2015.
- Forbes listed Champaign-Urbana - and the U of I Research Park in particular - as one of the top 12 business incubators changing the world, thanks to the large number of entrepreneurial resources on hand in the area including:
- Top ranked tech and engineering talent from UIUC
- 3.2x the national per capita average of venture capital first fundings
- Cost of living 9.7% lower than the national average
- NerdWallet rated Champaign County as the third fastest growing community in Illinois, and ranked Champaign-Urbana the #5 in Best Places for Work-Life Balance in July 2013.
- Business Insider – Champaign-Urbana ranked #4 on “The 10 Best Small Cities for Educated Millennials” list, May 2015.
- TIME – Champaign ranked #12 on “Best Places to Walk or Bike” list, May 2015.
- Thrillist – Champaign-Urbana ranked #3 on “Illinois Food & Drink” list, May 2015.
- AARP – Urbana ranked one of the “30 Easiest Cities to Get Around,” April 2015.
- The Brookings Institution – Champaign-Urbana ranked among top in nation for annual venture capital first fundings on a per-capita basis, with 3.2 times the national average, March 2015.
- Huffington Post - Champaign-Urbana named one of “The 10 Best Cities for College Grads in 2015” by the American Institute for Economic Research (AIER), May 2015.
Champaign County – Excellence at all levels: curriculum, teachers, facilities, and equipment.
Ranked 6th out of 329 metropolitan areas for the percentage of high school and college graduates in the adult population:
- 87% of population over 25 has high school degree or higher
- 34% has bachelor’s degree or higher
- 10,000 UIUC graduates each year
- 2,000 high school & Parkland College graduates
Recognized for its award-winning public schools by Expansion Management Magazine.
Parkland College ranked 6th among top community colleges in Illinois for student success rate.
University High School, operated by the University of Illinois, is a unique facility for gifted and talented students. University High students’ ACT average composite was 29.6; national average was 18.8.